During the upcoming Democratic and Republican
National Conventions, the eyes of the country will
be focused on the political future of our nation.
Let's not get caught up in the razzle-dazzle of
convention shows, but recognize that real democracy
means people organizing from the streets to community
forums to electoral politics in a continuum of pressure
from the bottom up. Both parties have led us down
the path of militarism and neglected our basic needs,
impoverishing our communities and endangering our
Now is the time to stand up for true peace and
security—to demand that our government reverse
military quagmires in the name of the war on terrorism;
liberate us from the oil companies' polluting
agenda and begin a serious offensive for conservation,
efficiency and renewable energy; promote good
jobs at living wages instead of pursuing cheap
labor abroad; and transfer war funds to health
care, clean energy and anti-poverty efforts at
home and abroad.
Below is our more detailed CODEPINK Platform
for Peace and Security. Please send it to
the leadership of the political parties, to your
friends and colleagues. And join us—at the
conventions, during the elections and beyond—as
we continue to be vocal advocates for the peaceful,
prosperous and sustainable world we want to live
CODEPINK Platform for Peace
- Withdraw all U.S. troops and military contractors
- Redirect war funding and excess Pentagon spending
toward needs at home, including healthcare,
education and rebuilding the Gulf Coast.
- Move from unilateralism and pre-emptive strikes
to international cooperation and diplomacy.
Start with Iran.
- Seek dialogue with warring parties and increased
development assistance to end the fighting and
poverty in Afghanistan.
- Respect international law and the sovereignty
of other nations, including Pakistan.
- Promote global disarmament, including the
disarming of US nuclear stockpiles.
- Promote an equitable peace plan between Israel
and Palestine that would leave the Palestinians
with a viable state.
- Fight terrorism through police and intelligence
efforts and by addressing root causes.
- End torture, respect human rights, and restore
- Respect the rule of law, uphold the Constitution
and the Bill of Rights.
- Hold officials accountable for their abuses
of power, using such remedies as impeachment.
- Protect personal freedom by rejecting warrantless
spying, stifling of dissent, and other affronts
to individual liberty.
- Provide universal healthcare through a single-payer,
- Replace "free trade" agreements
with fair trade deals with other countries that
protect workers' rights and the environment.
- Implement humane and comprehensive immigration
reform that affirms the dignity and integrity
of immigrant families.
- Address global warming and oil dependence
by raising auto fuel economy, imposing mandatory
caps on carbon pollution and investing in public
transportation, energy conservation technologies
and alternative energy development.
- Protect women's reproductive freedom, including
- Ensure equality for lesbians gays and transgender
people, including in marriage and military service.
- Implement Clean Money public financing of
elections, plus free TV/radio time for candidates.
- Mandate paper ballots and rigorous audits
- Break up media conglomerates, diversify broadcasting,
expand minority and nonprofit ownership of our
airwaves, and provide high-speed community Internet