Come help build a grassroots encampment to house refugees in Austin.
We are preparing one site currently, the Enchanted Forest, and are looking to expand to the Rhizome's brownfield land if we have enough volunteers, donations and such.
Come help build the first wave -- this weekend, we have a volunteer meeting at 10am Saturday morning and 6pm Sunday evening (come to whichever you can make) and work crew times (show up when you can): Saturday-Monday: 9am-12pm 5pm-8pm (not on Monday, morning shift only)
The wonderful site is located on Oltorf, just east of S. Lamar, you can park in Office Depot across street--look for the fabulous fence and geodesic dome structure inside.
We have LOTS of volunteer jobs identified--more will be posted throughout the weekend. Please try to stop by if you can.
(please go ahead and take all clothes donations to Goodwill--they will process them and dole out accordingly) otherwise, drop off at anytime - donation receiving area in front of property.
***Please send all supplies to 1404 West Oltorf, Austin, TX 78704***
- WATER, WATER, WATER, gatorade & Emergen-C
- money donations (drop box there, working out what non-profit will accept larger donations for tax purposes)
- ice chests (ice donations starting Tuesday)
- baby supplies (diapers, formula, ointments)
- canned and non-perishable foods
- fresh fruit
- shelter: tents, shade structures, folding tables, camp chairs, tarps (mark all with your name, including cover bags) mattresses, air and pads bedding: sleeping bags and sheets and blankets
- flash lights, esp. mini-lights
- toilet paper
- soaps: dishwashing, hand, HAND SANITIZER pumps, wet ones
- trash bags boxes and bins
- pots and pans dishes/cups/silver (PLEASE NO PLASTIC WEAR)
- bug spray
- aluminum foil
- ziplock baggies
- work gloves
- Refrigerator anyone?